What is the Food Assistance program?
Food Assistance is a monthly benefit given to eligible Ohioans to help them buy food. The program is designed to increase nutritional levels and expand buying power for residents living in low-income households.
Who is eligible?
Families and individuals can receive this benefit. Eligibility is based on factors such as family size, income and some expenses. To find out if you may be eligible, enter your information into the Food Assistance Calculator.
Food Assistance Calculator
What verification is needed to apply for Food Assistance?
- Social security number
- Proof of income
- Child care/dependent care costs
- Child support paid for children not living with you
- Housing and utility costs
- Any medical expenses for those with disabilities or for those over 60 years of age.
Applying for Food Assistance
Online Benefit Application You may fill out the form online.
You can also download the Columbiana County Department of Job and Family Services (JFS) 07200 Application for benefits which can be printed and either mailed, dropped off or sent via fax. Deliver in person or mail to 7989 Dickey Drive, Suite 2, Lisbon, OH 44432. Fax application to 330-424-0925.
Ohio Direction Card
How does the Ohio Direction card work?
The card looks similar to and works like a credit or debit card. When users make eligible grocery purchases, they simply swipe the card through a reader at the register. The amount is deducted from the total benefit balance.
Items not permitted to be purchased with Food Assistance:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Vitamins and /or medicine
- Hot food products that are prepared to be eaten immediately
- Non-food items (Pet food, paper products, soaps and household supplies)